Thursday, June 24, 2010

A little bird told me...*what I use to color stamps*



Hello and Happy Hello Thursday! I am anxiously awaiting the Gypsy update *fingers crossed*! Anyhoo, for today's card I thought I would explain how I color in my stamped images. I have been getting lots of questions about what I use, so I'm gonna tell ya. I use what is referred to as the Magic Colored Pencil Technique. Many people think I use watercolor pencils, but I DON'T! I use my favorite Prismacolor Colored Pencils...Here is a picture of them...

I have a larger set than this picture, but you get the idea. They are expensive, but I used a 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby where I bought mine and that softened the financial blow. I stamp my images with Staz-On ink and then color it in. I then use Odorless Mineral Spirits {sometimes called Gamsol} to blend my colors using paper blending stumps. I get my OMS at Michaels in the painting section, the brand is called Mona Lisa. I hope this explanation helped some of you who are just starting out in stamping! ;o)



I got this stamp in a Martha Stewart set that I got on major clearance at Walmart the other day. Well I hope you're having a fabulous day so far!

Tweetie Hugs!
Nikki

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful card Nikki, I have been using the gamsol colored pencil technique for years now, it is a fun technique and looks great!!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty card! I am so glad you said that about Martha because I think I bought the same set recently and had forgotten about it. LOL I will have to dig it out and see if I can come remotely close to stamping it the way you did, but I doubt it! TFS :) Kimmy

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, I can't believe all that BEAUTIFUL coloring is w/those pencils!! I LOVE IT!! Your card is just PERFECT "Bestie"!
    Big Peachy Hugs,
    Emma;)
    P.S. what's up, it's been 2 days, where's my call???? lol...........

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is absolutely BEEEE UUU TIIII FUL. I have wanted to do this but have been unable to find gamsol. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this card is great. I have been pondering what I should use to color in my stamps. Whether to invest in Copic, Stampin Up pencils or what. How expensive are these that you use?? Have a great day. I love your work.

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for stopping by my little corner of the crafty blogosphere! i LOVE comments!